[Mailman-Users] bin/mailmanctl start

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu May 29 03:42:55 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 20:16, Vince LaMonica wrote:

> Actually, I also did a 9.1 from scratch. I had 8.2, backed up all my
> important data, and did an 'install' of 9.1, repartitioning my drives
> at the same time. I also avoid doing 'upgrade' installs for the very
> same reason [oddities creep in]. I had, at one point, also installed
> Ximian Gnome which gave me even more reason to do a fresh install of
> 9.1. I did however restore my /home/mailman directory [which is where,
> on 8.2, i had mailman installed]. I was thinking that all I needed to
> do was restore my mailman user's crontab entries and all would be ok
> [since all of mailman's executables are in /home/mailman]. When mailman
> didn't want to start, that's when I went to go grab 2.1.1 and found
> that 2.1.2 was available. Grabbed that, installed it [backing up
> /home/mailman first] a few different times - installed it with my old
> lists in place, installed it in a /home/mailman2 directory [empty],
> etc. I read the mailman archives and followed your advice about
> installing a bunch of python-related RPMs, and even that didn't work. I
> finally decided to use the source.

Then the only difference is that you used an upgraded Mailman install,
and I installed a new one then moved my lists over.

I'll bet the problem was in the initialization of the old databases.
When upgrading Mailman tries to use the old modules to move the data up
to the new formats.  The RPM installs must not load all of the older
modules called by the earlier Mailman.  Curiouser and curiouser...

It would be cool to know what modules were missing.

Take care - Jon