[Mailman-Users] HELP!!! Removing WebArchive Messages?

E M Recio erecio at polywog.navpoint.com
Wed May 14 17:59:33 CEST 2003

Mike Avery said:
> In a business environment, you could be in a world of hurt.  When a
> luser craters a  critical system, it's the system admin's tail on the
> line.
>
> When a luser wipes a message in a mailing list that needs to be
> preserved for  accountability (S.E.C. etc) reasons, it could cost the
> company millions.
>
> I think in most business environments, the answer is "no, we don't want
> employees re- writing the corporate history".

I wonder what the costs are to an organization (non-profit) are when a
vulgar email gets cataloged by a search engine, or a propspective donor
comes across it. That's what we're really worried about. Or for
harasment/legal counsel issues, we would need to take things off of there
too. But I agree, that deleting the files permanently would be a bad idea
for the latter. Hence the reasons we have the 'tar' command! :)

--
"There may still be two superpowers on the planet: the United States and
world public opinion." - Patrick E. Tyler