[Mailman-Users] Error with "http://my.dom.ain/mailman/create"

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue May 13 21:04:57 CEST 2003

At 18:47 13/05/2003, abid wrote:
>On 5/13/03 12:51 PM, "Richard Barrett" <r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > At 17:19 13/05/2003, abid wrote:
> >> I installed mailman 2.1 successfully
> >
> > Hopefully you mean MM 2.1.2, the latest stable MM release. Did you install
> > from source or an RPM? What OS are running.
>
>2.1.2 from source and red hat 7.1

In that case you are sure to have access to the INSTALL file in the Mailman
build directory.

> >> I have apache running successfully
> >> I have php installed
> >> I have python installed
> >
> > What version of Python?
>
>Python 2.2.2
> >

> >> After installation I go to /bin directory and run mmsitepass and create a
> >> password.
> >>
> >> However when I go to the myip/mailman/create I get an error message.
> >
> > What error message?
>
>I get a 404 message
> >
> > Have you created the site mailing list? Have you started
> > $prefix/bin/mailmanctl
> >

>I have not created a site mailing list

Have you created it now?

>I just started it and it says "Starting Mailman's master qrunner."

If you haven't created the site mailing list then you will immediately get
an error message out of mailmanctl about the missing site list.

>(I didn¹t know I was supposed to start that..?)

You really must read the INSTALL file. The section under the heading "4.
Final system set-up" (starting at line 245 in the MM 2.1.2 release) is a
must read. It tells you to create the site list before running mailmanctl.

> >> Do I need to modify httpd.conf in apache at all?
> >
> > Yes. ScriptAlias and Alias and related directives need to have been added
> > to httpd.conf. This is described in the $build/INSTALL document in your
> > Mailman build directory. You should review all the instructions in that
> > INSTALL file to check that all the installation steps have been completed.
> >

>Err?

This is explained under the heading "4. Final system set-up". Make sure to
read all of this section.