[Mailman-Users] two errors causing shunting.

Mitchell Marks mitchell at cuip.net
Sun May 11 16:27:12 CEST 2003

(Just another data point ...)

I also rather frequently see the first of these two errors, associated with
a message going into shunt.

The occasions when it happens are when BOTH of the following conditions hold:

         1.  The list has Personalization set to Yes (and there is a
percent-substitution for fullname and address in the footer -- though i
haven't experimented with this as a separate variable)

         2.  The message contains an extended-Ascii character with high bit
on.  E.g., begin/end quotes, copyright, \226 for a dash.

These don't simply unshunt with bin/shunt, but I can get them to dislodge
with a little preparation, either:

         A. I edit the .pck, substituting another character where I see the
high-bit one.  (Take care to keep the same number of characters or it will
be tossed out as a bad pickle.)
         B. Go to the web admin interface for the list, turn off
personalization (and save the substitution strings); run bin/unshunt; turn
personalization back on (and restore the substitution strings).

A bit of a pain either way.  Today I'm hoping to transfer some lists to a
server where we have MM 2.1.3 and am hoping that as a side benefit this
problem might go away.  (I've been seeing it in 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2).

regards,

  Mitch Marks

--
Mitchell Marks
CUIP Tech Coordinator    http://cuip.uchicago.edu

Telephone:  Ofc 773-702-6041
         Fax 702-8212
         Home (v.m. only, ok any time) 241-7166
Email: Primary address: mitch at cuip.uchicago.edu
         Alternate UofC addresses (use especially to report problems with
cuip.uchicago.edu): mitchell at cs.uchicago.edu and mmar at midway.uchicago.edu
         Off-campus (ISP) address: mmarks at pobox.com

Man in cafe (shouting on phone): Bouriana! Yes, that's me.  Yes, I'm
holding ...  Bouriana.  Bouriana!  ... All right:  B as in Bouriana, O as
in Ouriana, U as in Uriana, R as in Riana, I as in Iana, A as in Ana, N as
in Na, A as in --- Albert!  Albert Bouriana!