[Mailman-Users] A newsgroup security question

Mike Avery mavery at mail.otherwhen.com
Sun May 11 01:04:23 CEST 2003

Someone, some spammer low-life, sent a spam to a mailing list I host
that is a ported usenet newsgroup.

Of course, a spamcop unloaded on my ISP who unloaded on me.

The last time I went down this road, I was told that I couldn't setup
security on a ported mailing list so that only the subscribers to my list
and the newsgroup itself could send messages to and from the mailing
list and newsgroup.  If course, that was in 2.0.X days.

I just upgraded to 2.1.1, and it looks pretty cool (now that I created the
undocumented  mailman mailing list).

However, the options that control newsgroups don't look any different
than they did.

Is there a way to tighten up this security?  While it is true that anyone
on the whole net can spam Usenet, it's also true that if your server is
caught doing it, you catch hell....

Thanks,
Mike
--
Mike Avery
MAvery at mail.otherwhen.com
ICQ: 16241692                      AOL IM:MAvery81230
Phone: 970-642-0280
* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other
way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
RAM = Rarely Adequate Memory