[Mailman-Users] Allowing administrivia to work

Heath Raftery hraftery at myrealbox.com
Wed May 7 18:49:57 CEST 2003

I wrote a little while ago asking for some advice about setting up
mailman in an environment where the mail server and web server were not
actually local. Thank you to those who were able to help. I've managed
to come quite aways, despite the difficultly of not being able to serve
from the computer running Mailman.

I've set up an email address at a free email account site, and have
fetchmail successfully fetching mail from that account and delivering
it to sendmail, which correctly uses its alias db to pass it on to
Mailman. My problem arises when administrivia is sent to the list.

I was hoping potential subscribers could send an email to the same
address used for posting to the list, but with the word 'subscribe' in
the subject, and get subscribed to the list! I was hoping the same
might apply for 'unsubscribe' and possibly 'help' and 'who'. I've
worked through all the settings, making sure there is no moderation, no
user has their moderation flag set, and administrivia is 'Yes'. Still
though, messages with subjects such as 'subscribe', 'help' and 'who'
get held, waiting for moderator attention, with this reason:
"Message may contain administrivia"
And, accepting the mail in the administration interface delivers the
email to the list! I was hoping the administration (subscribe being the
most important one) would be performed. What could possibly be wrong
here?

Heath
|   Heath Raftery                                     |
|   hraftery at myrealbox.com                            |
|   *I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.    |
|      Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living*   |
|                    - Dr. Suess      _\|/_           |