[Mailman-Users] Mailman-fetchmail-exim using ISP + hosted domain

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon May 5 01:46:40 CEST 2003

As I was reading your email I was thinking: fetchmail and replicated
email aliases and a simple install of Mailman on your box.

If the remote domain that you are going to use is foo.bar.com, then you
will install your mailman to use foo.bar.com so that the mails come out
hosted properly (and return mail goes to your real pop client).  Will
your forwarding server allow you to send out mail from user at foo.bar.com?

<Aside: I've set-up a couple of Mailman installs that do something
similar, and I like to put an entry into the /etc/hosts file like:
  127.0.0.1   localhost  localhost.localdomain  localhost.foo.bar.com
This lets me install Mailman easily with values it can handle - and I
don't have to worry about doing any weird work-arounds to get things
working (even though I don't have a FQDN).  Plus a lot of DNS admins
will set "localhost.foo.bar.com" to 127.0.0.1>

You'll have to setup the generated Mailman aliases locally and at the
remote site.  Then set fetchmail to pull the mail for each alias from
the remote site and deliver it locally.  Exim will then run as your
"outbound" MTA.

If you want folks to get to the website, then you will have to register
your server at a dynamic IP service, and then modify the messages sent
out by the server, as well as the web-sites advertised on the Listinfo
web-sites.

Sounds like you have already thought this through. Good Luck,

Jon Carnes