[Mailman-Users] database error message when upgraded to 2.1.2; CPU PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

NOW Website Coordinator webperson at now.org
Fri May 2 23:59:04 CEST 2003

I had only turned off the MTA (Postfix) on the old server, and it was
helping me prove that it was Mailman running out of control.

It turns out that the problem (solved by Barry Warsaw!!) was a setting in
Postfix that caused bad, local addresses to be retried over and over and
over and over...

 From Postfix's main.cf:
  # The default setting is 550 (reject mail) but it is safer to start
# with 450 (try again later) until you are certain that your
# local_recipient_maps settings are OK.
#
  #unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450

Once I changed it to 550, restarted Postfix, and then (this part is
important) deleted some (bad local addresses) messages from the out qfiles
folder, restarted mailman.... the CPU usage went down to around 0% from 98%.

Phew!

Thanks everyone for the feedback.