[Mailman-Users] database error message when upgraded to 2.1.2

NOW Website Coordinator webperson at now.org
Fri May 2 19:16:12 CEST 2003

At 07:23 AM 05/02/2003 +0100, Richard Barrett wrote:

>>We use Mhonarc, and the job that is taking up all the CPU is the outgoing
>>runner:
>
>So, presumably you have configure Mailman to deliver archivable message by
>command directly to MHonarc rather than having MHonarc get the material
>via list subscriptions.
>
>It is a pity you did not mention the use of MHonarc to start with. The
>error message you quotedin your earlier post as being generated on
>mailmanctl start is eerily similar to one described in a file I found in
>MHonarc's distribution MHonArc2.5.13/doc/app-diagnos.html#warnings; I do
>not use MHonarc myself but grepping through an expanded distribution found it.
>
><quote>
>Warning: Database (dbversion) != program (prgversion) version
>Indicates that the version of MHonArc updating an archive is different
>from the version of MHonArc that created the database file. Problems can
>arise if the database file changes in format from different version of
>MHonArc. See the release notes of the MHonArc distribution if changes in
>the databse format will effect older archives.
></quote>
>
>It seems a reasonable speculation that you have updated MHonarc at some
>point and this is the cause of the problem and possibly this problem has
>nothing to do with Mailman but that MHonarc is grinding exceeding small?
>It also explains why the problem appeared to followe Mailman. But maybe it
>is following MHonarc which is attached to Mailman??

It is in fact likely that the database message is coming from MHonarc which
was upgraded -- thanks for the suggestion.
However, I hadn't upgraded Mhonarc on the old server.  I also now just
removed the lines in mm_cfg on my Solaris server for an external archiver
(mhonarc), restarted mailman ... and it again went up to using around 75%
of the CPU, when it's really just sitting there.  So it's not Mhonarc which
is causing mailman to use up all available CPU.

I decided to use the Qrunner command and try and run one runner at a
time.  Here's what I did, I just commented out one runner each and ran it:
QRUNNERS = [
     ('ArchRunner',     1), # messages for the archiver
#    ('BounceRunner',   1), # for processing the qfile/bounces directory
#    ('CommandRunner',  1), # commands and bounces from the outside world
#    ('IncomingRunner', 1), # posts from the outside world
#    ('NewsRunner',     1), # outgoing messages to the nntpd
#    ('OutgoingRunner', 1), # outgoing messages to the smtpd
#    ('VirginRunner',   1), # internally crafted (virgin birth) messages
     ]

and the winner was .... the OutgoingRunner.  The rest were very behaved,
but the Outgoing Runner took up over 70% of the CPU on a machine that is
sending *nothing* out.  Postfix is shut down.

Tried it on the new Linux machine, and same result.  Outgoing runner by
itself takes up 97% of my machine's CPU.  Note I am doing a full mailmanctl
stop and start to test this.

Thanks for everyone's help.  Any suggestions as to how to get the outgoing
runner to behave?