[Mailman-Users] Blank archives web page

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri May 2 03:01:45 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 10:31, Joe Hodge wrote:
> I have been running Mailman 2.0.5 (out of date, I know) for a few years now, and have recently begun experiencing a problem with HTML archives.
>
> I am using the built-in archiver, which has been quite satisfactory until now.  What has happened is that, for several of my lists, the index.html file in $prefix/archives/private/$listname has turnend blank.  There is no pattern to this that I can discern.  It is not happening specifically to the newest lists, or highest-volumn lists, or the oldest lists, or any other category I can find.
>
> When I installed Mailman I set the ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX parameter in mm_cfg.py to "0" so that I would have HTML archives and not mbox archives.  This may have been a mistake, since I can not use "arch $listname" to rebuild the HTML from the mbox file.  Of course, I tried it anyway, and got:
>
> "cannot open mbox file /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/sagemail.mbox/sagemail.mbox: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/sagemail.mbox/sagemail.mbox'"
>
> ...pretty much as expected.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1.  Is there any way to programatically rebuild the HTML without the mbox file?

There is no way that is built-into Mailman (without the aid of the Mbox
file).  However, I'm sure it would be easy to look at the current code,
copy it to another location, and modify it so that it builds a proper
html index.

It might be easier just to look at one of your other archives and build
a new one by hand.

> 2.  Is there any way to programatically create an mbox file from the HTML, so that I could use "arch"?

Again, that is not something that comes with Mailman... Still you could
use the existing html data and create an mbox file.  You might have to
get creative (but then isn't the fun part of our jobs?!).

> 3. Would an upgrade to 2.1x cause the archives to be rebuilt, fixing this?

It might fix your problem with the index file not being built.  Be sure
to backup your files first!

> 4.  Any other ideas?

You sound like you know what you're doing.  Let us know how it works
out.

Jon Carnes