[Mailman-Users] RE: Disabling Passwords

Larry Hansford lhansfor at lch-assoc.com
Thu Mar 27 03:39:05 CET 2003

At 08:23 PM 3/26/2003, Dallas Bethune wrote:

>I'm not sure how he set it up, but you could just set up a
>'subscription form' or whatever that your users fill in that hooks into
>a cgi script that just sends off an email to the appropriate mailman
>subscribe address.  If you subscribe an address via email with mailman,
>it will just make up a random password for the user.  If your users
>don't need to use it ever, they'll never know the difference.
>
>         Dallas

That's basically it.

I disabled:
    Sending Welcome Message
    Sending Goodbye Message
    Sending password reminders
    Digests
    Archives

I removed the footer with the web link
I set all list members as Moderated, except the ones allowed to post to the
list
I set all moderated members or non-members to reject with a message of the
address to send mail to
I set an Explicit Reply-To address
I set subscriptions to require approval, but not unsubscriptions

Initial setup is done with mass subscriptions.  Large lists are broken down
into multiple text files with 1,000 names or less per list, and then mass
subscriptions done multiple times.

Subsequent subscriptions are done either via the List Owner adding them, or
via e-mail subscribe. the same with unsubscribes.

I think that is basically the setup.

Larry