[Mailman-Users] Help Newbie trying to get working..

ghhalley ghhalley at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 27 00:53:56 CET 2003

> Thanks.. I am actually brand new... never even touched anything Linux
> before. I come from a Networking Background (mostly MS, Cisco and firewalls)
> and in the past I have had to setup network configs to work with Sun Servers
> running apache sometimes dibbling in the Sun's config files. But that is
> pretty much the extent of it. So I appreciate your help, it's comforting to
> know that there are people out there willing to lend a hand to a needy
> network guy.

Ahhh, That make sense.  You'll be surprised by how easy the really bad
problems are to fix in Linux.

> OK. So my big problem that took me all day was the silly little move of the
> mailman config file to the conf.d directory - thanks..

> Now I can access the pages over the network and feel like I'm making some
> headway.

> 1. Is the administration done entirely through the Web Admin? How do access
> and configure MailMan options?

You can do it both ways, except for the changes in the alias files.
Those you will need to hand poke.  I suggest the program emacs, if you
don't have a favorite way to do this.  The changes are really pretty
simple -- its a text file, with three pieces.

# Comment lines
and then the email address and its relay, typically in the form

George:   GHHalley at earthlink.net
which would send all email to George at holylandtrust.org to my email
account.

This gets a little stickier if you are using multiple domains and we
will not get into this in this email.

After hand poking the changes, you will need to type "newaliases" on the
command line.  You will get a statement back showing the db has been
updated.  And then you need to restart sendmail by "services sendmail
restart"  This will cause the changes to be received.

> 2. How do I change the @localhost.localdomain convention to specify the
> domain I want?

This is a little trickier question.  I'm guessing you might need to do
some more network configuration for the box.

Did you set a local name in the /etc/sysconfig/network file?  If not,
you need to set this up.  If I remember right, there is good
documentation in the RH 8 Reference Guide.  Red Hat has pdf and html
versions of it on their website. When I started learning Red Hat, I
used those guides alot.  They are not exhaustive by any means, but
they will get you going.  Then the man or info commands and the
readme's have almost everything else.

> 3.I do not want anyone to send email to this box - I just want it to be able
> to send out daily newsletters. I want the reply address to be a user on my
> Exchange Server --my corp mail server-- who can receive replies in his
> Outlook Inbox.

This brings up a major question of configuration.  Typically Mailman
uses confirmation emails for new subscriptions.  You will have to go
through the configuration files and turn off this capability.  Mailman
by default is not set up as a Newsletter list, but rather as a
Discussion list.  There are default settings, you will want to change
for it to work this way.  My primary purpose is also as a Newsletter
list.  FAQ 3.11 describes the basic changes you need to make.  I'm in
the process of implementing it.

> 4. That being the case (#3) do I need to setup external DNS with MX records
> for this server?

not sure.  I use DNS to direct traffic to my website and to route
emails to the server.  If you completely turn off in-coming emails and
you can get around the web traffic necessary, you can probably turn
off DNS.  But, I'm not an authority in this area.  You might want to
try a separate post with different heading to this list and the RH 8
list.

> Thanks for your help...

And on the second email...

> Ooh one other thing -

> 1. How can I test that Mailman is working with sendmail correctly?

You can check Sendmail, by making a change in the alias file to send
to you and then trying it.

Otherwise, you can set up your first list and send to it.

Or if you think everything is working, but don't get a response, check
FAQ 3.14