[Mailman-Users] Plain Text

Kyle Rhorer rhorer at swbell.net
Tue Mar 25 16:51:20 CET 2003

On Monday 24 March 2003 16:06, Staven Bruce wrote:
> We have a RedHat 8.0 Linux server running the latest version of
> Mailman atop a Sendmail MTA. Whenever I send a message to a mailing
> list, it always arrives to the recipients in plain text, even when
> I'm using another font. I compose the messages in Outlook usually,
> and want to be able to use different colored backgrounds, different
> fonts, etc. Can I do this with Mailman?

Staven, don't take the following comments personally.

Although I would strongly discourage you from sending HTML email (it's
annoying, usually unnecessary, and most competent sysadmins consider it
a security hazard), if you really, *really* want to pass HTML through
your mailing list you should have a look at the content filtering
settings for your list.  convert_html_to_plaintext defaults to on (for
good reason).  You should also check with your Exchange administrator
to see whether the Exchange server is the one converting to plain text
(again, for good reason).  Bear in mind that even if you change your
Mailman and Exchange settings, there is no guarantee the recipient will
view the HTML -- I have my MUA configured to show only plain text due
to security and spam control considerations.

Kyle
--
It is better to know nothing than to have learned nothing.
                               -fortune cookie proverb