[Mailman-Users] Name or service not known

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Sat Mar 22 19:57:51 CET 2003

On 22 Mar 2003, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 17:04, Marilyn Davis wrote:
> > I'm still pulling out my hair on this one, and a hairless woman is not
> > a pretty thing.
>
> Oh, I don't know about that...
>
> http://go.sciflicks.com/artists/p/persis_khambatta_star_trek_the_motion_picture.jpg
>
> :)

Yeh, well she shaved her head, I pull my hair out in clumps.

If this goes on much longer, it'll look the same and I'll be that pretty?

> > I figured out that the SMTPDirect thing was going straight out a port
> > rather than piping to exim.  This is a standalone machine for
> > development and testing.
>
> This is true.  SMTPDirect sends messages over port 25 via the smtplib
> module.  Still, if you're running your Exim as a daemon, it should be
> possible to configure it to accept only localhost port 25 connections.
> That's what I'd recommend anyway.

I went back to SMTPDirect and set exim to collect over port 25 but
nothing changed.

> > So, in my mm_cfg.py I put:
> >
> > DELIVERY_MODULE = 'Sendmail'
> >
> > but it didn't fix it.
>
> Are you sure SENDMAIL_CMD points to the right executable?

Absolutely.  I can run the mail through using that command.

> > How can I get it to use sendmail (linked to exim) instead of the
> > SMTPDirect module?
>
> They way you're doing it is the only way, and it ought to work, but you
> should be aware of the security issues.  This delivery module goes
> through the shell so you have quoting issues and the like to worry
> about.

It's hard to care about security on a standalone test machine.

I'm missing something because when I do the Sendmail thing, it still
gets the same error in the smtp log, so I guess it's still doing the
same thing.

I'm going to get the debugger going next.

Thank you for your thoughts on this Barry.  I know you're too busy.

Marilyn