[Mailman-Users] exim -mailman faq - not working

John Swartzentruber johnslists at mcswartz.org
Fri Mar 21 23:20:12 CET 2003

On 21 Mar 2003 16:55:25 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 16:28, Jon Carnes wrote:
>> ~mailman/bin/genaliases in mentioned in:
>>   NEWS
>>   UPGRADING
>>   README.POSTFIX
>>
>> Sorry, it looks like the genaliases script is designed specifically to
>> be used with Postfix... Hmmm.  Seems like it could easily be made MTA
>> neutral, and still be able to link with Postfix.
>
>genaliases depends on the MTA variable setting in mm_cfg.py.  If you
>wanted to run Exim with manual aliases, you'd set MTA='Manual'

I'm not sure I can stretch my memory back to January, but I think the
issue was that the genaliases script doesn't create a file with the
aliases in them unless you are using Postfix (presumably with the MTA
variable set to Postfix). I'm running sendmail and the MTA variable is
at the default (i.e., Manual). I think the only way to get a list of
all of the aliases is to capture the output of the genaliases script
and manually remove the extra comment lines ("To finish creating your
mailing list . . .").