[Mailman-Users] Why some messages aren't distributed?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Mar 17 04:36:05 CET 2003

What are your "Delivery defaults" set to in ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
(or Defaults.py)?

===========
#DELIVERY_MODULE = 'Sendmail'
DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'

# MTA -- but then also see POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS.
MTA = 'Manual'

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = []

POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'

SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 500

SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION = 0

MAX_DELIVERY_THREADS = 0

SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
SMTPPORT = 0                                      # default from smtplib

==================

Have you tried running with
  DELIVERY_MODULE = 'Sendmail'

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 10:50, Marina Markus wrote:

> Hello and thank you,
>
> But I checked both places and found nothing:
>
> > Check to see if the messages have been shunted:
> >   ~mailman/qfiles/shunt/..
>
> I didn't find those specific undistributed messages
> in this directory, although found some older ones.
> May I ask what this "shunt" directory serves for?

There are some archive messages from Barry that explain it.

I believe they are for messages that take too long for Mailman to
process.  There might be a problem with their headers or with the
system. In any case, rather than let the message clog up the queue,
Mailman gives up on the message and shunts it.

Check out the ~mailman/bin/unshunt command

> > Also check on your MTA and see if it is using your fully qualified
> > domain name or merely a subset of your domain name (like fred instead of
> > fred.mynet.com).
> >

> Yes, it uses a fully qualified domain name "lists.bgu.ac.il".
>
> Can there be a situation when "mailmanctl" dies by itself
> and then starts anew by itself? This could be an explanation,
> although I can't see how this could happen.
>
> Regards,
> -Marina
Something similar can happen.

One of the features of version 2.1 is that it times it's processes as a
last resort to figure out if a process is hung somehow.  As an example,
the Archiver qrunner has a specified number of minutes to handle each
message, if it exceeds that time limit then it is killed and restarted
after all the other qrunners have been given another go.

(at least that is how I read the code...)

HtH - Jon Carnes

BTW: are you running any Spam/virus scanning in conjunction with your
Sendmail?