[Mailman-Users] Unable to purge corrupt address

Dwight Ernest dwight at significant.com
Thu Mar 13 21:50:02 CET 2003

(Context: Mailman 2.1.1) I have a list with a single corrupt address in
it. The address string contains a \xa0 character. Routines which access
the address list fail with errors like

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/var/mailman/bin/list_members", line 232, in ?
     main()
   File "/var/mailman/bin/list_members", line 207, in main
     s = formataddr((name, addr)).encode(enc, 'replace')
UnicodeError: ASCII decoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

I can't find any way to get rid of this address. Trying to unsub from
the membership page simply silently fails. Trying to use remove_members
fails to find it, as there's no way to specify the out-of-range char on
the command line (that I'm aware of). Trying to do a binary edit on
either the pickle or the marshal file fails (I don't know a lot about
Python, but there seems to be a some sort of checksum failure).

I'm desperate. How can I remove this subscriber's corrupt entry?

--Dwight Ernest
   System Administrator
   Unitarian-Universalist Association (http://www.uua.org/)