[Mailman-Users] mailman + spamassassin

Dave Stern - Former Rocket Scientist dave at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Mar 13 16:50:43 CET 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Jonas Meurer wrote:

> On 11/03/2003 Detlef Neubauer wrote:
> > > also. Now I would like to configure mailman to filter every incoming
> > > mail through spamassassin.
> >
> > I think it would better you let your MTA or procmail to do this job.
>
> Ok, let procmail do the job is fine, but is there a procmailrc that can
> be used for every list, I mean one procmailrc for all the lists, without
> adding an entry for every list?

It's theoretically possible but really messy. You'll still need an entry in
aliases for each list eg:

listname: "|/usr/local/bin/procmail -m /etc/procmailrc"
   and /etc/procmailrc will be rather universal, first running spamassassin
followed by something like

:0
|/etc/mailman/mail/wrapper post $LISTNAME

the tricky part is figuring out how to pass it the $LISTNAME param.
The only way I know to get the listname is from some massive processing of
the message itself, probably parsing it from the List-Post: header (but only
if it exists ie what if you have other mbx'es on the list machine receiving
mail...)  so if you do figure out how to do this, I'd love to see it.
Otherwise, my feeling is it's not worth it to do it this way

 David Stern                                            University of Maryland
                Institute for Advanced Computer Studies