[Mailman-Users] mailman installation, How to from source [newbieish]

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 11 22:08:30 CET 2003

Mike you can find more detail in the Archives (or the FAQ), but here it
is in a nutshell:
 - Create a user and a group called "mailman"
 - Version 2.0.13 will use the home directory of the "mailman" user so
make sure that it exists and that the directory belongs to both the user
and group "mailman".  In version 2.1.x you will need to create
/usr/local/mailman and set its owner and group to "mailman".
 - Download the source to a temporary directory (DO NOT download it to
/home/mailman or to /usr/local/mailman)
 - Unpack the source:
     tar -xzf mailman-<version>.tgz
 - This will create a "mailman-<version>" directory in your temporary
directory. Change into this directory
 - Read the file: INSTALL
 - Read the file: README.SENDMAIL (if you use sendmail)

  ./configure
  make install

The "configure" command looks at your system/setup and tries to figure
out a the best way to install Mailman.  It will fail if you are missing
some key prerequisites (like the proper version of python install on
your system)

The "make install" command will modify some of the source files to match
your system and then copy the Mailman files to their proper locations
(/home/mailman -or- /usr/local/mailman, depending on your version)

 - Change to the Mailman directory (which I will hereafter refer to as
~mailman) and look for a subdirectory called cron.  You will need to
load up the cron entries for the mailman user.  The cron entries are
scheduled programs and scripts.  These do various maintenance items like
mail out monthly passwords and do regular check-ups on your Mailman
databases.
    cd cron
    crontab -u mailman crontab.in

 - To create a new Mailing list:
    ~mailman/bin/newlist <name of new list>

Note: for version 2.1.x you *must* create a list called "mailman" as the
first list.  Add yourself and any other admins as a user of that list.
It is used for error reporting, and various alerts.

In version 2.0.13 when you run "newlist" it prints out a list of aliases
that *you* must cut and paste into the /etc/aliases file for your system
(after which you must then run "newaliases").

 - Follow the directions of the INSTALL file and modify your Apache
configurations to setup the /mailman and /pipermail CGI's

  #
  #  httpd configuration settings for use with mailman.
  #

  ScriptAlias /mailman/ /var/mailman/cgi-bin/
  Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/
  <Directory /var/mailman/archives>
        Options +FollowSymlinks
  </Directory>

 - Restart Apache

That should just about do it for you.  The most common problems are:
 - Running the Mail server with some weird or non-existent GroupID
 - Running Apache with no GroupID
 - Manually moving or playing around with the Mailman created
directories which changes their rights and can "accidentally" remove the
sugid settings.

You can fix the group problems by modifying your MTA and/or Apache Group
settings, or by re-running the Mailman installation and choosing some
special switches to include on the "./configure" command.

You can fix the directory rights issues by running:
  ~mailman/bin/check_perms

Good Luck - Jon Carnes