[Mailman-Users] parent/umbrella lists, posting of members/non-members, ...

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 11 15:27:22 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 08:32, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi mailman masters!
>
> We have in our domain several mailing lists already running, but need to
> set up some more with special `problems':
>
> * The mailing lists are hierachical, but not real umbrellas, because
>   some members are again lists, some are real persons
> * ALL members of ALL these lists should be allowed to post to their list
>   AND ALL PARENT lists WITHOUT approval

It is not currently possible do do this with members of the Parent lists
(although I wrote a patch that partially does this and it would be
possible to expand that patch to cover all parent lists)

Still there is a work-around in the FAQ that lets you build the Umbrella
lists via scripts, that would get you the functionality you want (and it
works with your version of Mailman).

> * All others are allowed to post but WITH approval.

This is simply the moderation setting on the list.

> Is this possible? Is it possible with our debian/woody installation,
> i.e. with mailman 2.0.11?
>
> The last point is in fact interesting: I cannot see how to solve: list
> members should be able to post without approval, all other should be
> allowed to post but only WITH approval. Is this possible?

Yes. Check out the settings in the Web-admin.  There should be toggles
in the Privacy options section.

HtH - Jon Carnes