[Mailman-Users] mailman-2.1.1-2 RPM

tengel tengel at sonic.net
Fri Mar 7 23:36:58 CET 2003

[Announcement for those interested -- I am not a member of this list, so email me directly with any questions. Thought some folks on this list might find it useful.]

RPMs Built and Announced at about Fri Mar  7 14:15:31 PST 2003

  RedHat 7.3 RPMs are built with rpm version rpm-4.0.4-7x.18
  RPMs are built on a Pentium III 800mhz w/256megs RAM with
  RedHat 7.3 plus updates from ftp://updates.redhat.com installed.

  Main archive is located at ftp://ftp.falsehope.com/home/tengel/mailman/
  These files are also available on the following sites:
  ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/falsehope/home/tengel/mailman/

This package was based on mailman-2.1-8.src.rpm as found in the Rawhide
tree on rpmfind.net. It updates to the newest version of mailman, corrects
some fatal flaws (overwriting mm_cfg.py, oops), and removes the very
strict needs of apache RPMs, RedHat 8.x, and so forth.

  Expected webuser:  nobody.nobody
  Expected mailuser: mail.mail
  Expected host:     localhost.localdomain

Binaries compiled from the src.rpm should work on any RedHat 7.x or 8.x
machine and not require apache or a specific MTA RPMs installed. I have
tested it with no apache RPMs (custom compile in /opt) and the Exim MTA
installed via RPM. If there is no mm_cfg.py installed, the RPM will copy
the default version for you, ready to edit.

Don't forget to insert the crontab into your desired user, once configured.
It's been removed from the RPM scripts, as we never really know who you're
going to run this as.

%changelog
* Fri Mar 7 2003 Troy Engel <tengel at sonic.net> 2.1.1-2
- added --with-mailhost and --with-urlhost set to localhost.localdomain
- update mm_cfg.py to have DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST
- add some logic to protect mm_cfg.py on upgrades (proper way would
  be to mark it config/noreplace, but that would now involve building
  a whole filelist)

* Fri Mar 7 2003 Troy Engel <tengel at sonic.net> 2.1.1-1
- upgraded to 2.1.1
- make webserver agnostic (leave icons in mailman dir, remove 'webserver'
  dependancy, user nobody, etc). A webserver is not *required*
- change user/group to mail.mail -- exim, postfix and sendmail all seem
  to use this. Using 'mailman' has caused me nothing but problems
- remove config, multimail, and xss patches
- update mm_cfg.py variables
- remove newaliases requirement -- MTAs like Exim don't require futzing
  with /etc/aliases for each list
- move sample apache config to %{mmdir}/www/
- check for /usr/bin/python2 and pass that to ./configure if found
- added a doc section in the filelist
- removed automatic crontab insertion, added to post-install instructions

--
Troy Engel
GPG KeyID: DF3D5207