[Mailman-Users] Mailman hosting requirements

John DeCarlo jdecarlo at mitre.org
Wed Mar 5 14:36:45 CET 2003

Hello,

I know this is one of those questions where the real answer is "it
depends".  However, I will ask it anyway, in case someone has done
something similar enough.

I have been running two small lists with Mailman, several hundred users,
  and average of 2 messages a day per list.  The impact has really been
minimal on my Linux machine.

Now I have been asked to help with a proposal to set up a server
dedicated to running Mailman for 50-100 lists.  They would all probably
have an average of 2-300 users, probably at most 5 messages per day on
average.

Should I propose a modern machine (Intel-based, 2+ GHz, 512+ MB RAM, 40+
  GB storage)?  Or if I suggested a used machine (3-400 MHz, upgrade RAM
to at least 256 MB, upgrade disk to 40+ GB) at a cost of around $400 or
less, would that be foolish?

Thanks.

--

John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own