[Mailman-Users] mailman hold notices...

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Jun 27 00:11:26 CEST 2003

Folks,

	I've recently started doing some work for ntp.org (as the
listmaster, postmaster, & PGP keymaster), and last week we cut over
to mailman (2.1.2) from majordomo.  Overall, we are very happy.

	However, there are some things we've run across that we've got
some questions on, and I haven't found any obvious answers in the
mailman FAQ, etc....  I hope you don't mind if I ask them here.

	First, I want to change the notice that gets sent back when
non-subscribers submit a message to a specific mailing list.  The
generic message is okay for most of them, but one in particular needs
different text.

	Going to the appropriate mailman/admin/list page for the list in
question, and then down to "Privacy Options" and "Sender Filters",
there appears to be a "member_moderation_notice" that would appear to
be applicable in this case.  I've put in the modified text I want to
send back, but it's not being used.

	Does anyone have any suggestions for what I might be doing wrong?
I guess I could edit mailman/templates/en/postheld.txt directly, but
I'd prefer not to do that.  For one thing, I want this change for
just one list and not all of them, and I'd prefer not to even try to
think about what would need to be done for the other languages.

	Secondly, when using the moderation tools to accept a message
that has been held, we've noticed that the "Date:" header gets
slightly munged.  We see:

		Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:37:43 +-400 (EDT)

	When it should be:

		Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:37:43 +0400 (EDT)

	This only appears in the full raw archives, and in the messages
that are sent out via e-mail.

	Third, I've noticed that the only opportunity to change the
mailing list name (mainly the capitalization) is when the list is
being initially generated.  Visiting the appropriate admin page and
changing the field where it says "The public name of this list (make
case-changes only)." does not seem to have any impact.

	Thanks for any advice or assistance that you can provide!  If
there are FAQ or other documentation files I've missed where these
issues are discussed, I would appreciate any and all pointers you can
provide.