[Mailman-Users] Yahoo2mbox

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Sun Jun 22 21:35:26 CEST 2003

      Worked find for me.  I wanted the archives local as well as on the
server, so I ran it from Winblows and then uploaded the files.  There might
be some permission issue if you run it from your Linux box..  The
instructions seemed a bit incomplete to me, but they I don't do Perl so
maybe they are obvious if you have a clue.  At the C:\ prompt I ran:
Perl yahoo2mbox.pl <groupname> --user=<yahoo!id>

      It asked for my password, and away it went.  Once it has counted the
messages it seems to do nothing except that the dotted line gets longer -
very slowly if there are a lot of messages.  On my big list I hit the Yahoo
download limit at message 25720, which I would guess was at about 65 Mb.  A
couple of hours later I reran it and it picked up where it had left off and
finished.

At 09:59 PM 6/21/2003, you wrote:
>Glenn Sieb wrote:
>
> > Yes yes! Do a google for Yahoo2mbox.pl! :)
> >
> > I converted a highly active list (about 200 subscribers, over a period of
> > 6 years) to mbox format just peachy :) It does, however, consume time, and
> > depending on the size of the list, may take a few days.

David said
>I wish I could share your enthusiasm :-), but haven't had much success
>with Yahoo2mbox.
>
>I let it run for 15 minutes to retrieve just the one message and the
>debug output shows it just looping around going nowhere.
>
>Is there some trick that I am missing ?

<>< Paul     Linux, because rebooting is for adding hardware.