[Mailman-Users] Slow Performance on Mailman, Next Steps?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sat Jun 21 21:52:12 CEST 2003

At 19:45 20/06/2003, Eric Miller wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>We moved our mailman list over from yahoo to my server this
>week.  No a painless move but it went OK.
>(This is some pretty good software!)
>
>My big issue is performance.  Our list has 2300 subscribers and
>we do about 20 to 50 e-mails a day, nothing too big.
>
>Messages were taking 3 to 4 hours to be sent.  I went through
>the FAQ on performance and have done the following to get down
>to 30 to 90 minutes:
>
>1: Put in a DNS server on my machine with caching (pdnsd)
>2: Used the following mailman settings:
>     DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
>     SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 3
>     SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION = 100
>3: Turned off the logging
>
>Some other facts:
>
>a: I'm running RedHat 9 Linux
>b: We are getting lots of bounces: 258 have been put on hold because they
>    went over their bounce score
>c: I'm using a 2+GHz AMD machine.  Lots of horse power and it seems like
>    I'm not using much.  CPU is sitting at between 5% and 10%
>

>So, my obvious questions are:
>
>I: Any suggestions on my mm_cfg.py settings?
>II: Anything else you can recommend?
>III: My assumption is that since I'm using SMTPDirect it doesn't
>      matter if I use the default stuff that comes with Redhat or
>      should I load something better?
>IV: Is it the bounces that are my problem?

Can you track an incoming post to the list through the system and compare
of the times logged by:

1. the Mailman-server-local-MTA for receipt of an incoming mail and its
handoff to Mailman

2. the Mailman post and smtp logs for the associate outgoing mail

3. the MTA handling outgoing mail from Mailman (is the the Mailman server
local MTA?) for receipt of an outgoing mail from MM and its handoff to
the  next MTA

Do these times give any indication of where the delays are occurring?

Is Mailman logging smtp-failures or bounces?

What MTA are you running? What version of MM and Python are you running?

You did not say how much memory you system has and whether running top
gives any indication of high loads on the system and if so which processes
seems to be using generating the load..

You do not say why you changed SMTP_MAX_RCPTS from its default of 500 (on
MM 2.1.2 at least) to 3.

Are you list members mainly on your local domain or out in the real world?

Is the MTA handling Mailman's incoming and outgoing interfaced direct to
the world or does the MM traffic stage through some other mail relay in
your network?