[Mailman-Users] Logging question...

Glenn Sieb ges+lists at wingfoot.org
Wed Jun 18 00:12:37 CEST 2003

Richard Barrett said:
> Looking at your listing for the logs directory, most of the files are not
> group writable. My guess is that is why not a whole lot is being written
> to them.

Hmm. Good point. I just updated newsyslog.conf. I must have typo'd that :-/

> I note that only the bounce, error and mischief logs are group writable
> and those seem have some contents.

And coincidentially they had 664 in newsyslog.conf :-/

> and the logs directory has the following permissions
>
> drwxrwsr-x    3 mailman  mailman      4608 Jun 17 00:45 logs

So does mine..

> I think the set gid on the directory keeps everything in order as log
> rotation is done.
>
> I confess I am surprised that check_perms did not find any problems. It
> may be worth setting the permissions by hand and seeing if that makes any
> difference.

I just set them.. *crosses fingers* :)

> btw: what are you using to do your log rotation.

I'm using newsyslog, now with the following new entries:

# Adding mailman logs
# 1/3/2003, ges
# Changed 6/17 due to screwup --ges
/usr/local/mailman/logs/debug   www:mailman 664 7  100  @T00     Z
/usr/local/mailman/logs/digest  mailman:mailman 664 7 100 @T00   Z
/usr/local/mailman/logs/error   mailman:mailman 664 7  100  @T00     Z
/usr/local/mailman/logs/mischief  mailman:mailman 664 7 100 @T00     Z
/usr/local/mailman/logs/post    mailman:mailman 664 7 100 @T00   Z
/usr/local/mailman/logs/qrunner mailman:mailman 664 7 100 @T00   Z
/usr/local/mailman/logs/smtp    mailman:mailman 664 7 100 @T00   Z
/usr/local/mailman/logs/subscribe www:mailman 664 7 100 @T00 Z
/usr/local/mailman/logs/vette mailman:mailman 664 7 100 @T00 Z

Thanks!
Glenn
---
The original portions of this message are the copyright of the author
(c)1998-2002 Glenn E. Sieb.    ICQ UIN: 300395    IRC Nick: Rainbear
"All acts of Love and Pleasure are Her rituals"-Charge of the Goddess