[Mailman-Users] Two commands in PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 20:47:40 CEST 2003

At 17:34 17/06/2003, Tobias Eigen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>While we're on the subject of PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER - has anyone
>successfully set it up to have two commands executed to generate two external
>archives at the same time? I want to continue using mhonarc while also
>testing
>another system (FUD Forum).
>
>I realize this is probably a trivial question for some of you, but I've been
>digging around quite a bit in Google and haven't found the answer. My latest
>attempt is:
>
>PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = '(/usr/bin/mhonarc -add -outdir
>/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/%(listname)s -rcfile
>/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/mhonarc.rc -htmlext html -idxfname
>index.html -title %(listname)s -reverse
>-spammode ; /usr/local/mailman/scripts/maillist.php
>%(listname)s\@lists.kabissa.org)'
>
>.. which runs the first one (mhonarc) correctly as usual and does also
>runs the
>second one (maillist.php). However, the second one does not seem to be passed
>the message at all.
>
>I've tried a range of things based on the above - no luck. Any advice is
>appreciated.

Try making the first part of the command 'cat > /tmp/teststuff$$;' to
insert the msg into a temporary file. Have the two subsequent command parts
executing the archivers and taking their STDIN from the temporary file.
Make the last part of the command 'rm /tmp/teststuff$$' to tidy up.

Something like this might work:

PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 'cat > /tmp/teststuff$$; archiver-1-command
%(listname)s-stuff < /tmp/teststuff$$; archiver-2-command
%(listname)s-stuff < /tmp/teststuff$$; rm /tmp/teststuff$$'

I think the temporary files are safe but caveat emptor ...