[Mailman-Users] external archiver second time

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 01:07:38 CEST 2003

At 18:29 16/06/2003, Jonas Meurer wrote:
>*** PGP Signature Status: unknown
>*** Signer: Unknown, Key ID xE25F2102
>*** Signed: 16/06/2003 18:29:16
>*** Verified: 16/06/2003 22:14:37
>*** BEGIN PGP VERIFIED MESSAGE ***
>

>hello,
>i still have in my mm_cfg.py:
>PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 'lurker-index -l `lurker-list -c
>/etc/lurker/lurker.conf | grep -B2 "^%(listname)s$"| head -n1` -m'

 From a quick glance at the documentation files accompanying the lurker
release 0.90 on sourceforge I would have thought that the following line
would do it:

PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 'lurker-index -l %(listname}s -c
/etc/lurker/lurker.conf -m'

For example, with a MM list called fred-list this would lead to MM
executing the following command and piping the message text to STDIN for
the subprocess:

     'lurker-index -l fred-list -c /etc/lurker/lurker.conf -m'

This seems fairly straightforward.

It seems your trouble is with the fancy footwork you are trying to perform
with lurker-list, grep and head to translate a mailman-proper-listname to a
short-lurker-listname.

The efficiency of this seems to me to be fairly questionable, particularly
when you consider the use of the short 'list' names is supposed to be an
efficiency measure.

Personally, if I thought it was worth the effort to have these abbrieviated
list names I'd find a better method of doing that mapping than using grep.

But if you insist on doing it the grep way, I think you may need to say:

PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 'lurker-index -c /etc/lurker/lurker.conf -l
`lurker-list -c /etc/lurker/lurker.conf | grep -B2 "^%(listname)s$"| head
-n1` -m'

that is assuming the output from lurker-list without any other parameters
consists of groups three lines, the first being the short-lurker-listname
and the third the mailman-proper-listname.

I'll now leave you to persuade the grepping and such to work.

This is definitely not a Mailman problem but feel free to add an entry to
the Mailman FAQ when you get it working.