[Mailman-Users] FreeBSD 5.1, Python 2.1.3, Mailman 2.1.2 Install

Christopher Allen [BigFatPipe.Net] cra at bigfatpipe.net
Tue Jun 17 00:19:15 CEST 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Vivek Khera wrote:
> TL> and FreeBSD likes to have a redundant file called /etc/master.passwd which
> TL> I added the same:
>
> TL> mailman:*:501:502:Mailman MLM:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
>
> TL> Apparently there is a problem with this.
>
> If you editied the /etc/master.passwd file, you did it the wrong way.
> These two flat files are just text representations of the real
> password database.  The one, true, way to edit the password database
> is to use the vipw command.  You can also add users using the pw
> program.

Actually, editing the /etc/master.passwd then rebuiding the DB is an okay
route to go.  Issuing the command:

/usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd

Will build the system password db based on what's in /etc/master.passwd.
If you use vipw, it simply automates this process.

-CA

-- Christopher R. Allen ---- cra at bigfatpipe.net --
-- "Education is a progressive discovery of our --
-- own ignorance." ---------------- Will Durant --