[Mailman-Users] Postfix/Mailman - Help needed (newby)

Dirk Wirts dirk at dirk-wirts.de
Sat Jun 14 20:55:08 CEST 2003

Hi there,

after installing Mailman I tried to get it running, having only some success.
I tried a lot of things, but now I think I've got stuck. Maybe I should first
explain, what I want to to and how I tried it:
I want to run a mailing list for our diving club, which has its own webpage
and email accounts, but no mailinglist capability. At home I'm running my
Linuxserver with an dyndns.org name, on which I planned to run Mailman.
Clubserver is tuemmler.de, my adress is wirts.homeip.net (internal name is
brainware.local).
Techspecs: I'm running Suse 8.2 with postfix as mailserver. No Problems
getting and sending mails with several emailaccounts, just works fine.

I have configured a mailinglist called tuemmler in Mailman, which is viewable
on my webserver under wirts.homeip.net. I can subscribe to the list, get the
confirmation mail, after confirming I can reconfirm as admin and get the
concluding email that I'm allowed to post. Now I've created an emailaccount
on our cluserver which is named tuemmler at tuemmler.de, to which I would like
the clubmembers to send their emails. After fetching them from the server, i
receive an error, that the local name tuemmler at brainware.local does not exist
(I thought this would be handled by Mailman, intercepting those mails, but
obviously it doesn't), so I created a local userr called tuemmler. Now those
mails end up in the local mailbox instead of being delivered through the
mailinglist.

So, after the long story here are my questions:
Could I setup my mailinglist, being fed throug an external mailaccount, or
should I think again and try a competely new aproach?
If it is possible, what did I do wrong? Maybe something forgotten?

I don't know exactly what information you might need to help me, so I first
include my mailman configuration

MAILMAN_MAIL_GID="65533"
MAILMAN_CGI_GID="65534"
MAILMAN_MTA="Postfix"
MAILMAN_LINK_ALIASES="yes"
MAILMAN_SMTPHOST="brain.brainware.local"
MAILMAN_DEFAULT_NNTP_HOST=""
MAILMAN_DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST="wirts.homip.net"
MAILMAN_DEFAULT_URL_HOST="wirt.homeip.net"

DELIVERY_MODULE="SMTPDirect"  # this one I included after having read tons of
mails in this list, but it seems to have no effect.

Another thing I found reading the lists is the output from postconf -n

brain:/etc/sysconfig # postconf -n
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
content_filter = vscan:
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
defer_transports =
disable_dns_lookups = no
mailbox_size_limit = 512000000
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
masquerade_exceptions = root dirk
message_size_limit = 102400000
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain
mydomain = brainware.local
mynetworks_style = subnet
myorigin = $mydomain
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
notify_classes = 2bounce,delay
program_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/README_FILES
relayhost = mail.isis.de
relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/samples
sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = maildrop
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtpd_client_restrictions =
smtpd_helo_required = no
smtpd_helo_restrictions =
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
smtpd_use_tls = no
strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450

If there are other information missing I will glagly post them.

Thanks in advance for your time, and sorry for the long mail :-)

- --

Bis demnaex, Dirk

PGP Fingerprint : D53C 8128 2008 3C1F D0AB 3ADF 57C0 37C3 46BA 3CF3

*- Origin: Nine Princes In Amber - :-)