[Mailman-Users] list size

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 15:17:34 CEST 2003

At 20:58 13/06/2003, Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:12:13 -0400 Rob Eckerson
><rob at regionalhelpwanted.com> wrote:
>
> > I am just about ready to launch my newsletter. But I am anticipating
> > that my address list will be around 500,000, will mailman be able to
> > handle that many people?
>
>http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.015.htp

I would also split the total membership into some shorter sublists, say by
splitting it into alphabetical sublists, and have each of those sublists
subscribed to an umbrella list, which is what you post to.

The way Mailman saves and handles list memberships is likely to choke
fairly badly on 500,000 addresses in one lump but cope a lot better with a
series of < 50,000 member sublists.

The other comments in the FAQ are still applicable.