[Mailman-Users] no mail to outside users

John DeCarlo jdecarlo at mitre.org
Fri Jun 6 18:57:06 CEST 2003

Danny,

Hard to say.  Need to figure out where the error is occurring.

1.  Do you get the messages sent from the Internet on the lists you
subscribe to?  (This would indicate that Mailman gets the messages, but
can't correctly send email to the Internet, just to the LAN.)

2.  If you don't get the messages, do they show up as being received in
the Postfix logs?  (This would indicate that Mailman doesn't get the
message, but the computer does.  I think this very unlikely, though.)

3.  Can you send mail from the Internet to a personal account on the
same machine?  (This would tell you whether anyone  can send any email
to your machine.  Postfix logs would be interesting for this, too.  If
the only successful receipts are from the internal LAN, need to figure
out why.)

4.  Can you send mail to the Internet from a personal account on the
same machine as Mailman?

Typical suspects would include:

DNS (A. Can your machine resolve Internet addresses to be able to send
email?  B.  Are you listed in DNS so people sending email to your
machine will get through?)

Mail routing.  Are you connected to an ISP that requires all email to
the Internet go through their mail server?  Is your Mailman machine
correctly set up in Postfix to do this?

--

John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own