[Mailman-Users] HTDIG patches! Arghh!

Steve Huston huston at astro.princeton.edu
Tue Jun 3 16:41:59 CEST 2003

On Monday, Jun 2, 2003, at 19:57 US/Eastern, Mark Dadgar wrote:
> Richard Barrett at r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk wrote:
>> I am kicking. I have been publishing and maintaining patches to
>> integrate
>> htdig search with MM since MM 2.0.6 and none of the MM support lists
>> use
>> the facility. When I asked thru this list how many people used the
>> patches
>> I got 3 replies; so obviously not many sites need searchable Mailman
>> archives.
>>
>> All users please note that MM 2.1.3 is the last version of MM for
>> which I
>> shall be publishing revisions of the #444884 patch. I will make one
>> last
>> effort to publish a generic version of the htdig integration patch
>> which
>> provides a framework for integrating other search engiones. Then I
>> give up.
>> Life is too short to continue pushing this particular rope uphill.
> Aieeee!  No!  Say it isn't so!
> These patches are critical for me.  Sigh.

They are for me too; while we don't have a lot of lists, one of the
major points that was brought up by the users here is that the software
has to have searchable archives, and these patches were one of the
reasons I chose Mailman over any other package (very little work to get
a full install with the htdig interaction running).  Had I seen a mail
asking about how many people use the patches I would've certainly
raised a hand.

> I've said it before (recently) and I'll say it again - these patches
> should
> be integrated into the main Mailman tree.  They are That Good.

I'll second (or by now third or fourth) this motion as well.  I'm not
sure of the reason why they're not included, but considering your
excellent work in keeping up with the patches I haven't seen it as a
problem.  If you're moving away from them, this will be a problem
(unless I don't find any need to upgrade the system until someone else
picks up the torch).

> Thank you, Richard, for maintaining them as long as you have.

Definitely.

> Now, is there any way we can talk you into continuing?  :)

...if you can keep your sanity in the process.  I know what it's like
when you just want to get away from something you wrote before (google
for "megahal eggdrop"... I still can't escape that one, and haven't
even been on IRC in over 4 years :P)  I can understand if you want to
walk away from the patches because you're just tired of maintaining
them, just know that there are a lot of people who love them and use
them, so don't throw in the towel because you think they're not
appreciated.

--
Steve Huston - Unix Systems Admin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
  Princeton University  |     ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285