[Mailman-Users] Re: Where are the archives?

Dallas Bethune dallas at dreamhost.com
Tue Jun 3 01:47:05 CEST 2003

On 6/2/03 3:20pm, "Richard Barrett" <r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk> wrote:

> I am kicking. I have been publishing and maintaining patches to integrate
> htdig search with MM since MM 2.0.6 and none of the MM support lists use
> the facility. When I asked thru this list how many people used the patches
> I got 3 replies; so obviously not many sites need searchable Mailman archives.
>
> All users please note that MM 2.1.3 is the last version of MM for which I
> shall be publishing revisions of the #444884 patch. I will make one last
> effort to publish a generic version of the htdig integration patch which
> provides a framework for integrating other search engiones. Then I give up.
> Life is too short to continue pushing this particular rope uphill.

Oh no!
I just started using the htdig integration on one small list last week.  I
am now considering adding it to the rest of our 4000+ hosted mailman lists
as we make the migration to MM 2.1 (still at 2.0.x now).  Can your mind be
changed?

I think maybe one of the reasons more people are not using the patches is
just the fact that a lot of the installs out there are done from rpm's or
debs instead of from source.  If you don't install from source, it's a lot
less obvious how to use the patches (if it's even possible).  Don't take
that as a sign that your patches are unappreciated!

    Dallas