[Mailman-Users] V2.1 breaks virtual hosting?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 21:03:27 CEST 2003

At 19:44 02/06/2003, Dave Lane wrote:
>(Sorry if this is an FAQ, but without a search function in the archives,
>its hopeless to find anything except by hit and miss.)
>
>I've been running V2.0 of mailman for a while now very sucessfully with a
>few lists on the same address as the server machine and many lists on
>three different virtual domains. All works well.
>
>I tried to upgrade to V2.1 back in February, but it was such a disaster
>that I had to fall back to V2.0 (which I had tarballed before starting the
>upgrade).
>
>Today I thought I would try again -- this time by doing a separate
>installation: different mailman username and directory, different web site
>address, etc. I then started to move the lists over one-by-one, but the
>first list didn't work.
>
>What I've determined is:
>
>Lists native to the machine seem to work fine. A virtual list
>receives mail on the virtual domain address and sends out mail from
>the native address fine.
>
>As soon as I change the "Host name this list prefers for email
>setting" to the virtual address, the list becomes a black hole. Send mail
>to it and nothing happens (no list mail nor any bounce messages).
>
>Does anyone have any idea what is happening?
>
>... Dave
>
>ps.     the O/S is Solaris 7
>         MTA is sendmail 8.12.9
>
>the mm_cfg.py is (with domain names edited):
>
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'native.stmarys.ca'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'native.stmarys.ca'
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mm21/'
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, 'lists.domain1.ca')
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, 'lists.domain2.ca')

The add_virtualhost calls insert key/values into a dictionary. The key is
the first parameter to the add_virtualhost call and the value is the second
parameter.

You are not generating three entries in the dictionary with your
add_virtualhost calls. The effect is as if the first two were not made and
the only virtual host you are defining is the last one.

This might be part of your problem.