[Mailman-Users] ip_addresse rather than hostname in forms?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Jul 31 16:24:57 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 01:05:41PM +0000, Kirk R. Wythers wrote:
> How can I configure a list to use an ip address in its listname instead
> of the hostname? For example I'd like all references to the list to be
> based on the machines ip address (i.e on the listinfo page "To post a
> message to all the list menebers, send email to name_of_list at ip_address,
> rather than name_of_list at hostname, or when monthly reminders go out to
> use name_of_list at ip_address as well.
>
> Is this possible?

It should be possible, but I'd seriously question the reason for doing
so.  It's trivial and cheap these days to set up your own domain and
have it hosted by a free DNS provider like zoneedit.com.  Even dynamic
IP users (like I am) can make this work without a lot of hassles and
expense.

For your hostname, try the IP address in square brackets, like
[1.2.3.4].  Mail to username@[1.2.3.4] should work, but as I said, you
really, really don't want to do this.

        .../Ed
--