[Mailman-Users] default action on administrative requests

Hal Huntley hal at sofdev.sri.com
Wed Jul 30 03:36:06 CEST 2003

I sent this question a while back and had no reply. I didn't see my own
message come back to me by way of the mailing list, so I presume it did not
get out.

I'm using Mailman 2.1.2 with Python 2.1.3 with Solaris 8.

I've looked through the FAQ. I've seen a similar question on this list, but
the answer was "get Mailman 2.1".  I now have 2.1.2, but this issue
still eludes me.

I have a list that gets more spam than legit email. I would like to have the
"Action to take on all these held messages" on the "admindb/<listname>" page
to have a default of "discard" instead of "defer". This way I can quickly
scan the "baddies" and then "submit all data" once I see they are all spam;
no clicking on the "Discard" radio button.

I don't want to use the Privacy Options -> Sender Filters option of:

 Action to take for postings from non-members for which no explicit action
 is defined.

to be "discard".  I know that the messages would come to me with the:

 Should messages from non-members, which are automatically discarded, be
 forwarded to the list moderator?

but I really don't want the messages automatically coming to me; I want the
member of my list to receive it if I click "Accept".

I've seen reference to a script that will just toss everything that is
queued up for a list; I would rather not do this.

Right now, I also wish this behavior for one list only, not as a default for
all the lists that I have.

What file do I need to change to make the default choice be "discard"
on the administrative requests page?

Pointers to documentation gratefully accepted.

Thank you,

Hal Huntley
SRI International