[Mailman-Users] Gentoo, mailman and the "module named paths"

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Mon Jul 28 19:39:51 CEST 2003

Hi,

I've done a manual install of mailman on a system running the current
Gentoo. "mailmanctl start" gives the dreaded "No module named paths" error.

I've seen the README.linux attribution of this problem to not having
installed Python from tar - but Gentoo's portage system is Python-based, and
its Python is a full build of 2.2.3 from tar. I can't find mention of a
paths module in any of the ebuilds in Gentoo's dev-python directory (not to
be confused with Debian's dev-python .deb). I don't want to reinstall Python
manually, because of the risk of somehow throwing the whole Gentoo portage
system out of whack.

What to do?

Thanks,
Whit