[Mailman-Users] How do I implement Mailman

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 00:55:00 CEST 2003

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 09:53 PM, Anne Campbell wrote:

> We want to implement Mailman but we know nothing.
>
> What do we need to do to put Mailman into production?

1. A computer running some type of UNIX or UNIX-like (Solaris, Linux,
FreeBSD, MacOS X etc) operating system.

2. An MTA (such as Sendmail, Postfix, Qmail, Exim) and a web server
(such as Apache) running on that machine.

3. An installation of the Python programming language software
(preferably version 2.2) on that machine.

With that you are ready to start installing Mailman. If you want to
install from source code you will need standard C compilers and such
installed on the machine. You can get binary installation packages for
Mailman for various flavours of Linux but installation from source is
often simpler.

If you download and unzip/untar mailman-2.1.2.tgz from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=103 you will find
installation instructions and readme files in the distribution which
may clarify matters for you.

> Can you point me in the right direction on all the steps necessary to
> use
> this great tool?
>
> Does GNU have a GUI?

GNU is a state of mind with many associated software projects, see:

     http://www.gnu.org/