[Mailman-Users] More madness

Todd Freedom_Lover at pobox.com
Tue Jul 22 19:56:34 CEST 2003

Mark Haney wrote:
> I caved.

D'oh!  Good luck with it. :)

> Jason Buscema gave me the answer to the problem with the RPM
> version of mailman.  I re-installed it and added the 2 lines to make
> mailman know what user/group to use.

Hehe, nothing like having to fix the simple 'do all the setup for you' rpm
version.

> Everything is peachy keen.

Well, except for the below, right?

> I have 2 problems.  First, in the auto-respond message I get when
> subscribing as a new user, the confirmation URL is still pointing to
> http://porky.redhat....., etc.  In the email itself, the reply-to address
> is correct.  What's the fix to that?  I have the DEFAULT_URL_HOST setup in
> mm_cfg.py.

After you add the DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST (and the
add_virtualhost call below them), you need to restart the mailman service to
make it take effect.  And you'll also need to use the fix_url script to
correct any lists you created before you made this change, they will still
have the bad defaults.  If you only have test lists, it might be just as
easy to delete them and recreate them if you're unsure of how to use the
fix_url script.

> Second, I receive the subscription emails and confirmation emails
> correctly.  But when I post a new message to the list, I don't get the
> actual posted message sent back to me.  It's obvious mailman/sendmail is
> setup (mostly) correctly, but where's the new message going?

Look at the logs in /var/logs/mailman for clues (I think that's where redhat
moves them to).

> Remember, I'm a newbie to mailman, so be gentle.  Thanks.

So far, every issue you have is caused by the bad redhat 9 rpm.  I hope you
don't hold this against mailman.  It is really nice software.  It's just a
shame that the packager of the redhat 9 rpm was on crack when he put the rpm
together and unleashed it on the unsuspecting masses. ;-)

- --
Todd              OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
The average American family head will be forced to do twenty years' labor to
pay taxes in his or her lifetime.
    -- James Bovard, Lost Rights