[Mailman-Users] passwords, confirmation emails, clunky web interfaces, and my grandmother

David Hunt tnuhdivad at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 20 20:21:26 CEST 2003

Dear All,

I'm trying to run a simple mailing list so that people can sign up to
receive news related to my career as a musician.  I would like it to be
simple enough that my grandmother could sign up for it if she wanted to.
Right now, it is a mess - the very first person who signed up, who was quite
computer literate, made the comment "that was a lot of emails!!"  So here is
what I want:

= When the user is asked to confirm a subscription, the confirmation message
is a five page essay in legalese.  It should just say "to confirm your
subscription, please reply to this message or else _click here_."  How do I
change it?  The admin person at my web host did not know of a way.

= After the user is confirmed, there is ANOTHER essay, longer than the
first, detailing the web pages and passwords and all sorts of rediculous
options they will need to remember in order to get one email once every two
months about my music.  How do I change that message?

= How do I make it so users don't need a password to subscribe/unsubscribe?
Or, maybe I can force the computer to assign them all the same password,
even when I sign them up?  Again, my web admin didn't know of a way.

Ideally, a person should be able to go to my website, type in their email
address, hit "subscribe", confirm by replying to one simple email, and then
receive the messages I send them; and then if they want off, they just click
a link in any one of those emails.  No passwords, no options - just a
mailing list, for goodness sake!  I hope that's not too much to ask.  Keep
in mind when you reply that I'm a musician and not a unix guru.

Regards,
David Hunt
http://dnotes.net/