[Mailman-Users] RE: Mail bouncing if sent to mailman-owner at testlist.localdomain2.com

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Sat Jul 19 02:06:09 CEST 2003

Shobhan Challa wrote:
>Thanks for your mail, but i tried creating mailing-list on the
>command-line like this:
>
>$: /mailman/bin/newlist --quiet
>   Enter the name of the list: mylist
>   Enter the email of the person running the list: root at localdomain2.com
>   Initial mylist password:
>   Entry for aliases file:
>
>   ## mylist mailing list
>   ## created: 18-Jul-2003 root
>   mylist:                  "|/mailman/mail/wrapper post
>  mylist"
>   mylist-admin:            "|/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner
>  mylist"
>   mylist-request:          "|/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd
>  mylist"
>   mylist-owner:            mylist-admin

      Looks about right.  Different than what I get, but it could be the
version being run.

>should i need to add the above three lines to my /etc/alaises ..??

      Correct, although I count 4 lines.

>If so any mail i address to 'mailman-owner' will be sent..??

      The aliases intercept the mail and redirect it to the mail Mailman
program.  Where the owner mail goes will depend on the setting for the
list.  In this case owner is redirected to admin, which is redirected to
the mail man wrapper and mailowner.

>and also i didnt find the program 'newaliases'.

      It is part of Linux, and on many (most?) systems it must be run after
changes are made to the aliases file in order for the changes to be
registered.  Check the comments at the top of your /etc/aliases file for
information.

<>< Paul