[Mailman-Users] "Path info. No list -2-" error

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 19:44:41 CEST 2003

On Friday, July 18, 2003, at 05:37 PM, Kaja P. Christiansen wrote:

> Some time ago the archive search on tug.org got broken;

How broken?

>  while
> the first page with search results looks fine, attempts to access
> consequent pages

What do you mean by 'subsequent pages'

>  return error:
>
>   htdig Archives Access Failure
>   Path info. No list -2-

This error says that the URL being used to access the mmsearch CGI
script is malformed as it does not have the name of the list being
searched embedded in it. What is URL showing in the location field of
the browser when you get the problem response. The URI should look
something like:

     /mailman/mmsearch/<listname>

> It looks like all 45+ lists are affected (I checked only four).
> Does anyone have a suggestion what may cause this and what to
> look for?
> We're running mailman 2.1.2 with htdig 3.1.6 under RedHat 7.2;
> last htdig patch applied: htdig-2.1.2-0.3.patch.

There is a later version of the #444884 patch but it doesn't sound as
if the fix it incorporates is for your problem:

htdig-2.1.2-0.4.patch.gz corrects an error in 2 scripts, mmsearch.py
and remote_mmsearch, which caused an exception if list archives were
being accessed via HTTPS and a search was performed.

The best I can suggest without further information is:

1. select one of the lists exhibiting your problem as a test list.

2. run $prefix/bin/blow_away_htdig for that list. This will remove all
the htdig related stuff for the list; per-list htdig conf file and
search indexes, delete search form from the list's TOC page and such.
This should be non-destructive of the list archive material itself.

3. post a message to the test list. This should cause re-creation of
the per-list htdig.conf file and add the search form to the list's TOC
page.

4. run the nightly_htdig cron script from the command line for the test
list. This should re-create the test list's search indexes.

Now see if the problem still exists for the test list. If the procedure
has cleared it then repeat the procedure without specifying a
particular list, to do all lists, or for individual lists if you prefer.

If the test list still has the problem then get back to me. If the
procedure fixes the problem then also let me know.