[Mailman-Users] MailMan & External Archiver

Olivier Carmona carmona at k-team.com
Fri Jul 18 09:37:46 CEST 2003

Richard Barrett wrote:

> On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 06:10 PM, Olivier Carmona wrote:
>

>> I am using MailMan 2.1.2 and Python 2.2.3 under Redhat 6.2 . I do
>> not  think that the kind of external archiver I use matters.
>>
>> When using external archiver options, I found that if the command
>> stdout is not redirected then the archiver returns status OK and on
>> stderr a SIGPIPE signal caught.
>>
>> PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = '/path/to/myarchiver
>> >/tmp/myarchiver.log'  -> WORKS
>> PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = '/path/to/myarchiver
>> >/tmp/myarchiver.log'  -> DO NOT WORK
>>
>> I am not a python expert so it might that the following
>> recommendation  in Default.py, implicitly warns about it, and if this
>> is the case, it  would be very much appreciable to write it down
>> explicitly.
>>
>> ># being archived will be substituted for this.  Please note that
>> os.popen() is
>> ># used.
>>

> Mailman simply run the external archiver command you supply using
> os.popen() with a single pipe connected to the STDIN of the that
> process through which MM pushes the message to be archived before
> closing the pipe. It doesn't come any more basic than that.
>
> The behaviour of the command you supply and its desires or needs for
> its STDOUT or STDERR to be handled in some particular way are not
> determined by either Mailman or Python except that, from a practical
> standpoint, neither can be assumed to provide an intelligent
> termination of the subprocess output file descriptors.

Sorry my English is too bad.

I do not care about logging to STDOUT or STDERR my external archiver
activity.

I just meant that without redirecting STDOUT, external archiver simply
do not work. It stops caught by a SIGPIPE and absolutely, nothing is
done. Whatever the command (/bin/ls,..) is inserted in
PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER, if you do not redirect STDOUT, it just stops
without executing the command.

If I am the only one to see that, I am afraid that Python os.open does
not behave correctly on my kernel 2.2.

> When you choose an external archiver you take on the responsibility
> for  understanding how to use it and, if it is going to generate
> output to  STDOUT and/or STDERR, deciding what to do with that; >
> /dev/null 2>&1  comes to mind.
>
>> By the way, it would be great to mention in INSTALL that Default.py
>> can be changed but that any change to Default.py imply to restart
>> mailman init script in order for the changes to be taken into account.
>>

> Also you should not make changes in Defaults.py but in mm_cfg.py,
> unless you want to lose your site specific changes the next time you
> do  an upgrade. It is worth reading all of the comments in Defaults.py

Thanks for the info.

> As for commenting on the need to restart a server daemon after
> changing  its configuration file; it would be quicker to list the
> number of  server programs that do _not_ have to be restarted under
> these  circumstances! Try changing httpd.conf without restarting
> Apache and  see how far it gets you.

I am not sure your comparison is OK because httpd.conf mention more
clearly that " After this file is processed, the server will look for
and process...." meaning clearly that the program is interpreted on launch.

--
Olivier Carmona