[Mailman-Users] my problem

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 00:38:13 CEST 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 09:32 PM, lesley wrote:

> Hopefully someone can help here cos tech support doesn't know who to
> contact.
>
> It looks like the mailman program is being upgraded.  My link to access
> the web management system was originally this:
> http://server782.dnslive.net/mailman/admin/nightworld_nightworld.net
>
> Now when I go there, it says my list doesn't exist. If I replace the
> server782.dnslive with my domain name so it looks like this:
> http://nightworld.net/mailman/admin/nightworld_nightworld.net
>
> It works and I get to peek at the new upgrades (which are awesome!).
>
> The big problem is anytime I try to work in my admin screen, any
> hyperlink I click on takes me back to the server782.dnslive domain and
> again have to change that portion to nightworld.net so I can't add
> anyone, moderate any posts, or make any changes!
>
> Has anyone run into that problem? What needs to be done>
>
> Thanks
> lesley

What follows is something of a guess given no information about your
domain hosting arrangement, how the MM install has been done and how
the sys admin intends things to work. Given those caveats...

This sounds as though the Mailman has not been configured to use
virtual hosts.

I would guess that the MM config has defaulted to the FQDN for the
hostname of the server (server782.dnslive.net) and this is ending up as
both the URL and EMAIL host for all lists.

What probably (remember this is a SWAG) needs doing is:

1. calls to the add_virtualhost() function need to be added to MM's
$prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file for each virtual host supported by the
machine. In your case something along the lines of:

     add_virtualhost('nightworld.net', 'nightworld.net')

assuming your URL and EMAIL hosts are the same.

2. the $prefix/bin/withlist script fix_url.py needs to be run for each
of your lists so that those lists and MM become 'aware' of the URL and
EMAIL host they are now associated with.

Try the above and if that doesn't hack it repost to this list.

You will need to take care in constructing new lists to ensure the
correct virtual host is associated with them. If creating lists from
the command line the then the virtual host for the list can be
specified on the command line; see the usage by running the newlist
command with the -h option. Lists created through the web should
automatically be associated with the host of the CGI request that
creates them.

Your tech support people can find comments about the MM virtual host
support in the file $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py. They can also try the
Mailman FAQ (see the footer to this message for its URL) and the
INSTALL file in the Mailman build directory.