[Mailman-Users] Crash when adding subscribers

Jean-Marc V. Liotier jim at jipo.com
Thu Jul 10 16:48:41 CEST 2003

Problem solved it seems.

Let's recapitulate :

I execute the add_members command to add members to the list 'test'. The
file 'addresses' contains a few addresses (one per line). The '-w y'
option triggers a notification mail to the new subscribers.

nyiragongo:/home/jim/admin/mailman# add_members -r addresses -w y test
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/add_members", line 255, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/sbin/add_members", line 235, in main
    addall(mlist, nmembers, 0, send_welcome_msg, s)
  File "/usr/sbin/add_members", line 135, in addall
    mlist.ApprovedAddMember(userdesc, ack, 0)
  File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 902, in
ApprovedAddMember
    digest, text)
  File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Deliverer.py", line 78, in
SendSubscribeAck
    text, pluser)
  File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Message.py", line 206, in __init__
    errors='replace')
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'errors'

I was initially quite puzzled, but I managed to relate the error to the
last call. Line 206 in /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Message.py is :

self['Subject'] = Header(subject, charset, header_name='Subject',errors='replace')

I changed it to

self['Subject'] = Header(subject, charset, header_name='Subject')

and my add_members command now executes fine although some error case
that I don't quite understand is no longer handled.

I wonder why I'm the only one to have encountered that problem.

Good thing the source was there so I could fix it myself. Good thing
that Python is interpreted so that I can fix the code directly without
recompiling. I'm amazed that a non-programmer like me can fix that kind
of problems.