[Mailman-Users] Return to performance

Eric Miller eric.miller at padtinc.com
Wed Jul 9 17:36:47 CEST 2003

Dear all,

In my last post on performance you gave me a lot of good advice.
Some things that helped:
  Set SMTP_MAX_RCTPS back to default of 500 (I found a posting
   that said 3 to 5 was better, must have been an old version)
  Upped my RAM to 1.5 GB
  Rearranged how the machine saw the internet so my firewall was
    less of a choke on flow.

I implemented all that I could and my send times are now down
to from 5 to 30 minutes.  I'd like to see better.

Some facts on my setup:

OS: Redhat 9
Mailman Version: 2.1
Hardware: 2.5 Mhz Athlon
Drive: Single 40 GB
MTA: sendmail (default with Redhat) (SMTPDirect)
DNS Helper: pdnsd
Network Connection: Full T1 from Sprint
Usage: Average 12 Messages a Day, 8 in a four hour window from 6AM to 10AM
       Pacific Standard Time
Subscriber: Around 2000, around 1/2 overseas

When I check times I look at the time from when Mailman received
the message till it shows up on my company mailserver (different machines on
two different networks)

99.9% of my recipients are outside my LAN

I am looking at disk utilization and see if that is hurting me as well.

Something else that puzzles me is that some of the recipients seem to have
very slow mail receivers, especially in India and China.  Is there a way
to find slow connections and group them together so they don't slow down
everyone else?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!  As I said earlier, this
really is a very cool piece of software.  I just want to make sure I am
getting the most out of it.

Thanks

Eric

Eric Miller