[Mailman-Users] Preventing address from being unsubscribed

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Fri Jul 4 18:50:10 CEST 2003

On Friday, July 4, 2003, at 12:38  PM, Richard Barrett wrote:

>> It is the sent to stdout via print commands, which are received by
>> the subordinate list like any other message would be. When the list
>> sends the message out, it supplies its own Return-Path:, etc.,
>> headers, as any list would do.
>
> But what is going to happen if your script decides _not_ to forward
> the message to the mailman wrapper. Would you not be better using
> os.popen() if you decide to deliver the message to the subordinate
> list. As things stand is not the normal post script is being asked to
> read a message from an empty pipe? It may cope with that but why make
> it do so and what are the consequences.

	A little sleight-of-hand: if the message is not to be sent to the
list, I add a particular header to the message. The subordinate list is
then configured to automatically discard any message containing that
header. So all messages get forwarded to the list, but only the "good"
ones ever get sent out to subscribers.

      ___/
     /
    __/