[Mailman-Users] Preventing address from being unsubscribed

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Fri Jul 4 15:49:14 CEST 2003

On Friday, July 4, 2003, at 03:08  AM, Richard Barrett wrote:

> If I can paraphrase what I think you have said; some messages sent to
> subscribers of the subordinate list bounce and these bounce messages
> are being returned to the superior list with information indicating
> they were bounced by the subordinate list's email address.

	Yes.

> I think you are asking for a means for the superior list to
> selectively ignore those bounce messages.

	Either that, or to intercept the subscription disabling process so
that the address is not disabled.

> A more pertinent question would be be why is the superior list
> should/would be seeing those bounce messages.

	My thoughts exactly. Occasionally I have had bounce messages sent by
other servers back to some address other than the address in the
list-owner, etc. IOW, something screwy in one of the thousands of
servers I send mail to.

> If the messages your script chooses to pass down to the subordinate
> list are simply posted by it to the subordinate list then any bounce
> from the subordinate list's subscribers should be received by and
> handled by the subordinate list's bounce processing; and MM doesn't
> normally tell posters about bounces resulting from distribution of
> their posts by the list.
>
> Are you certain that the bounce messages do not actually stem from
> occasional failure of your script to take successful delivery of a
> message from the superior list?

	I grep'd the logs on my server, and couldn't find any entries for the
proxy address that didn't have "status=sent" on the line.

      ___/
     /
    __/
   /