[Mailman-Users] virtual domains/hosts (qmail+mailman)

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Jul 4 00:58:16 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 16:33, bazofia wrote:
> Hia
Hoa

> I have some questions for  you :D
>
> *Can I have only one mailman installation to manage more than one virtual
> domain?
Yes.
> *Can  these vdomains have their own lists (private for each one) and it's
> own list admin? (only one mailman installation)
Yes.  You have to play with the list names if any of the Vdomains have
lists with the same name.  The local names for the lists must be
different, but the virtual names can be anything.
> *I'd like not to have a subdomain lists.whatever.com. Can I have the lists
> at the same domain as the real users? (not passing all the subdomain mail
> from qmail to mailman, only the mail sent to the lists)
Huh? I can read this question several ways, most of which the answer is
yes.
Yes, the mail for the Vdomain will work fine on a server with real
users.
Yes, if list.whatever.com's mail goes to a different server, then it can
be forwarded (an alias setup) to the server with Mailman on it.  Works
fine, but requires that all lists be setup manually on two servers.
And yes, if that happens your Mailman server can still serve the mail as
<listname>@whatever.com -- it doesn't need to be
<listname>@lists.whatever.com, though that would work as well, be easier
on you because you wouldn't need to setup aliases on the two servers.

> how!?
> can you point me to some URLs with examples?
> (I have read  INSTALL, README.QMAIL and README, and asked google, too, but
> had no success!!)

Setup a test system and learn/play/discover.

Some good reading that you have skipped is the file:
   ~mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py

> thanks in advance!
> have a nice day.

You are welcome.